Women in STEM onscreen
On a regular four monday month, we share posts on reccomended reading, social media scientists, resource round ups, and podcast suggestions, April has an extra monday this year, which means you get an extra Femmes of STEM monday blog post! So grab a fresh bowl of popcorn, load up your favorite streaming service, and jump on your couch for a Femmes of STEM movie night 🍿🎬
- Madame Curie, 1943. Marie Sklodwska Curie, chemist and physicist (Greer Garson).
- Gorillas in the Mist: Dian Fossey, 1998. Dian Fossey primatologist (Sigourney Weaver).
- Agora, 2009. Hypatia; mathematician and astronomer (Rachel Weisz).
- The Imitation Game, 2014. Joan Clarke, cryptologist (Keira Knightly).
- Hidden Figures. 2017. Katherine Johnson, mathematician (Taraji P. Henson), Dorothy Vaughan, mathematician and human computer (Octavia Spencer) and Mary Jackson, mathematician and aerospace engineer (Janelle Monáe).
- Contact, 1997. Dr. Eleanor Arroway astronomer (Jodie Foster).
- Jurassic Park, 1993. Dr. Ellie Sattler, paleobotanist (Laura Dern).
- Thor, 2011. Jane Foster, astrophysicist (Natalie Portman).
- Interstellar, 2014. Dr. Amelia Brand, biotechnologist (Anne Hathaway).
- Gravity, 2015. Dr Ryan Stone, medical engineer (Sandra Bullock).
- The Martian, 2015. Melissa Lewis, astronaut (Jessica Chastain) and Beth Johanssen, astronaut (Kate Mara)
- Mythbusters, 2003-2016. Kari Byron.
- Manhattan, 2014-15.
- Star Trek: The Next Generation, 1987-94. Beverly Crusher, chief medical officer (Gates McFadden).
- Firefly, 2002. Kaylee Frye, mechanical engineer (Jewel Staite).
- Torchwood, 200-2011. Toshiko Sato, technical expert (Naoko Mori).
See also our post about women in STEM youtubers!